Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Sense of Belonging

Sense of Belonging is the first project we had this semester for Documentary Photography class. The assignment was to find and photograph 5 people who belong to one group in some way.
I did mine on men with long hair.

BELLEVILLE, Ont. (06/10/10)-- After 18 years working in the fire deprtment in Toronto, Glenn Mifsud decided to follow his own story and create his own, different narrative. He built a bed and breakfast in Prince Edward County and it became a still point yoga retreat. Two years ago Glenn opened up the Tenth Ox yoga studio on Front Street, Belleville, and has now been teaching yoga for 18 years. 

He has had his hair long before he served in the fire department and let it grow again after he left it. 
"Then, as a sign of freedom, I didnt shave or cut my hair when I was building the bed and breakfast, as kind of symbolic of a new beginning. It was just the way we expressed our freedom, although I could argue it's another form of conformity with the 60's. That's the way it was when I was a child."


BELLEVILLE, Ont. (05/10/10)-- Peter Paylor is a wood carver and sells his pieces in the Belleville Farmers' Market. 

"I had long hair since I was a teenager in the 70's. I stopped when I got married. I don't pay much attention to my hair so if someone is not there to tell me to cut it then I don't. It just feels more natural to me, it just feels like me."
"January 2, 2009, was the last time I got a haircut, and I remember that because that was the day before my father's funeral and I got my hair cut for the funeral. I just remember they were closed January 1st." 
"One of my professors from university always used to say he was 19 years old when his identity was formed and the person that was inside him is still 19. So I think it has something to do with that. I had long hair as a teenager, the last time I had identified myself for myself as opposed to identifying myself for the world and letting a job, family, and my responsibilities identify me."

No comments:

Post a Comment